RUSSIAN CABBAGE SOUP
- 1/4 c butter
- 1 large onion, large dice
- 3 stalks celery, julienned
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp caraway seed
- 1 tsp celery seed
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp ground white pepper
- 1/2- 3/4 head cabbage, julienned (this will cook down significantly)
- 1/2 tsp dried dill weed
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 cup veg or chicken broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes (28 oz) with juice
- Tabasco or hot sauce- a few shakes
- Parsley, coarsely chopped for garnish, optional
- In medium soup pot, melt butter.
- Add onions & celery; sauté until soft.
- Add garlic, caraway seed, celery seed, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp white pepper and cabbage. Continue to sauté until cabbage starts to soften.
- Add dill, honey, broth, tomatoes, hot sauce.
- Slow simmer about 30 min or until cabbage is tender and flavors mellow.
- Adjust honey and seasonings to taste.
A rustic autumn soup made mellow with a touch of honey.
M. Ahern 10/2019