A trio of grains pair well with a lively citrus and herb combo. Don't shy away from the long list of ingredients, as this comes together quickly for a healthy, full meal deal!
- SALAD BASE
- 1 cup wheat berries, farro or barley, cooked according to pkg directions
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked according to pkg directions
- 1/2 cup quinoa, cooked according to pkg directions
- 1 bunch fresh asparagus, cut into 2" pieces
- 1/2 bunch green onions, julienned
- 1/2 red pepper, julienned
- 2 cups shredded or diced chicken, leftover steak or pork
- CITRUS VINAIGRETTE
- 1 Tbsp each-fresh squeezed orange & lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. white or red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp each- fresh orange & lemon zest
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. Kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- Whisk to combine first 8 ingredients; mix well. Slowly incorporate oils; whisk until emulsified. Makes approx. 1/2 cup. This dressing works well on mixed greens like kale, romaine or iceberg. Also great as a finishing feature drizzle to fresh roasted vegetables.
- HERB SAUCE
- 2 cups fresh herb leaves (parsley, cilantro, basil)
- 3 green onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2- 3/4 cup combo of extra virgin olive oil & canola oil
- Combine all ingredients except oils in food processor to coarsely chop.
- Slowly add oils and extra lemon juice as needed for saucy consistency.
- TO ASSEMBLE:
- Make vinaigrette and herb sauce separately.
- Mix 2-3 Tbsp of sauce into vinaigrette, adjusting quantities as needed.
- Toss gently with salad ingredients of cooled grains, prepped vegetables and choice of protein. Serve over a bed of greens, with optional garnishes of avocado or feta cheese.
The Herb Sauce alone, is a great finish to grilled pork or chicken.
Just 2- 3 Tbsp, combined with the Citrus Vinaigrette, make for an even more complex layer of flavor to this summertime salad.
M. Ahren 6/2019